History

Closing in on a century of golf

Earl of Home

Earl of Home

Formed by a group of local men in 1922, Bothwell Castle Golf Club was officially opened on the 16th of June 1923 by the then Earl of Home (father of Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas Home). The 18 hole course covered a 110 acre site situated between the 13th century castle and the then small village of Bothwell.

In 1960 the club was unable to accept an offer to buy the course, which was subsequently purchased by a developer. By 1962, building proposals were in place resulting in the club losing 7 holes for housing, and having to develop new ground to replace these holes. This new section of the course opened in 1973.

Celebrating its half century in 1972, a week of events included an Exhibition Match in aid of Charity. The players included 5 times Open Champion Peter Thomson, leading Irish golfer Christie O’Conner and 1963 Open Champion Bob Charles, a late substitute for 1967 Open Champion Roberto De Vicenzo who had to pull out on the day due to an ear infection.

Peter Thomson, leading Irish golfer Christie O’Conner and 1963 Open Champion Bob Charles

5 times Open winner Peter Thomson, leading Irish golfer Christie O’Conner and 1963 Open Champion Bob Charles

The club finally purchased the course in 1976 for £70,000, thereby securing its long-term future.

In 2002, a devastating fire resulted in the complete destruction of the clubhouse. The club decided to build the replacement clubhouse in a new location closer to the centre of the course, giving us the wonderful facility we have today. 
Officially opened in October 2004 by Richard Cole-Hamilton CBE, the Captain of the R&A Golf Club of St Andrews, the clubhouse at Bothwell Castle now offers one of the best amenities available to golfers and guests in the West of Scotland.

Richard Cole-Hamilton CBE, the Captain of the R&A Golf Club of St Andrews

In 2014 major changes were made to the inward nine of the course, officially unveiled when Master’s Champion and winning Ryder Cup Captain Ian Woosnam, Scotland’s No. 1 golfer and Ryder Cup player Stephen Gallagher, and leading Scottish lady professional Pamela Pretswell played the course with club members.

In 1997, Lady member Sheila Beckett produced a book on the History of the Club to commemorate its 75th anniversary. Thank you to both Sheila and Ian Beckett for their permission to post a copy on our website.